How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a passed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your used hearing aids need to be donated rather than getting rid of.
There are plenty of people suffering from loss of hearing who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total populace, around 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would help almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of people over 70 who need hearing aids have ever had them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies coming out regularly. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in certain cases even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a really persuasive point. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can make a huge impact, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to get into college and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.